Biomedical equipment technician/technologist (BMET) is front-line practitioners dedicated to the daily maintenance and repair of medical equipment in hospitals, meeting a specified minimum level of expertise.
Biomedical equipment technician training (BMETT) program have been established in 2006 GC at Addis Ababa Tegbare-id polytechnic college with collaboration with Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH). Addis Ababa Tegbare-id Polytechnic College (AATPTC) played a key role in founding the education of biomedical equipment technicians starting from scratch since there was no faculty for biomedical training in the country by developing a new curriculum, set upping the required facilities, acquire (collecting) equipment which are mandatory to start the program and coordinating trainers from the electronic department of AATPTC and inviting other scholars from other sectors.
• To bring better health care service in Ethiopia through producing well qualified biomedical technicians to maintain medical equipment and management system.
• Offer training on level 5 different fields
At this level the trainees receive basic electrical electronics concept, how to test and repair electrical electronics component, ways to terminate and connect electrical wiring and electronics, how to design and troubleshooting AC/DC Power supply with single-phase input and use hand tools and test instruments.
At this level the trainees receive competencies including Demonstrate Human Anatomy and Physiology, Maintain and Repair Basic Electrical Machines and Drives, Maintain and Repair Biomedical Equipment Instrumentation System, Maintain and Repair Simple Biomedical Equipment, Install Simple Biomedical Equipment, Interpret Biomedical Signals and Dismantle and Dispose Simple Biomedical Equipment.
Some of the simple biomedical equipment considered under the OS for this level are: • centrifuges
• oxygen concentrate
• suction machine
• OR light and OR table etc
Competencies in this level include Manage Biomedical Equipment, Find and Repair Faults in Measuring and Analysis Systems, Maintain and Repair Advanced biomedical equipment, Install Advanced Biomedical Equipment, Configure and calibrate biomedical equipment, Train biomedical equipment end users and Perform Technical Consultation
Legal Metrology is the entirety of the legislative, administrative and technical procedures established by the reference to public authorities, and implemented on their behalf in order to specify and to ensure, in a regulatory or contractual manner, the appropriate quality and credibility of measurements related to official controls, trade, health, safety and the environment.
• To promote fair trade, industrialisation and to protect public health and safety and the environment
• To provide for the implementation of a regulatory and compliance system for legal metrology for the administration and maintenance of legal metrology technical regulation
• To provide for market surveillance in order to ensure compliance with legal metrology technical regulation.